Tips to get the process rolling…
We know it can seem like a daunting undertaking. And we can tell you to do it right, you DO need to to a lot of research and planning before your dreams will turn into reality.
The good news is that we’ve been creating great spaces for over 25 years and we’re still excited about each new home. Cricket Hill Homes is uniquely positioned to guide you through the entire building process. Just think, wouldn’t it be fabulous to turn your dreams to a key!
Here are our top ten tips to consider in gathering your thoughts on your new home:
- Set some objectives by creating a ‘wish list’.
- Needs vs. Nice to Haves
- Overall home size?
- Style – traditional, contemporary, modern?
- Are there specific items required for your lifestyle?
- What level of finishing would you like?
- Research, then research some more!
- Does your existing lot offer enough space?
- Could you achieve your vision by adding to your current home?
- Visit open houses for design and layout ideas. What works for you?
- Narrow your priorities and objectives by talking to friends, reading magazines, visiting housing websites
- Talk to Builders. Have face to face conversations and then speak with plenty of references!
- Speak with plenty of Builder references. Find out:Did the Builder make the process as enjoyable as possible?
- What things did the Build do to help alleviate any stress?
- What was the hardest part of the process?
- What was the best thing about building a home?
- Have you recommended your Builder to others?
- Establish a preliminary budget. What do you think you are willing to spend on a new home?
- Run your numbers past a Builder to get candid feedback on the Cost vs. Benefitof building your new home. Is it worth building? Is the dream affordable? If the answer is “Yes” then the next step is to lay some preliminary ground work.
- Hire a Builder and a design team. At this stage a good Builder will not tie you to anything contractual, other than design and development costs.
- Work with your Builder throughout the design process in order to solidify your objectives and ensure you stay on budget. If the projected cost of construction grows while you are designing your home, the Builder should help you identify overages in advance of getting too far into the project. At this point in time, there is still the opportunity for you to stop the process, adjust the design or alter the budget.
- We wanted to note that it’s our experience that the best value for the homeowner is to engage the Builder at the onset of the project rather than hiring a design team then tendering the plans to a few Builders. Architects and designers do fantastic work, however sometimes the full costs of construction are difficult to project accurately. When the Builder is engaged from the start issues can be raised and discussed, then plans adjusted to suit. Your Builder should be enthusiastic about being a part of the project from the beginning, so that everyone can stay on track with the objectives and budget.
- Once the design and plans are completed, finalize the Scope of Work and Finishes with the Builder and establish the final price. The more detail that can be described in the contract ensures everyone’s expectations are clear. Negotiate your ‘wish list’ up front. Be realistic. It will cost more to add on or try to change at a later point.
- By now, you and your Builder should have a great relationship established which will assist in a smooth transition into the building stage. This is where all your research into the right “fit” comes in. You’re going to be working very closely with your Builder for an extended period of time and you want to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience!
- Communicate! Communicate! Communicate! There will be moments when the process is both exhilarating and stressful. It is crucial to be able to talk openly with your Builder. Problems WILL arise. It just can’t be helped! But, at Cricket Hill Homes, we like to been seen as your problem-solvers. Being flexible and open to ideas and modifications is important. If you have chosen your Builder well, you will be able to work through any opportunities or situations, knowing your Builder has your best interests at heart.
- Enjoy! Have fun with this experience! This is a very special time in your life and you want to approach it knowing that when all is said and done, you will hold the key to your dream!