Answering the big question
Ok. So you’ve discussed it. You’ve asked friends their opinions. You’ve visited open houses. And the desire to build a custom home just won’t let up. Perfect!
What you need to do now is put specifics down on paper to begin to solidify those ideas and see if we can turn them into reality. We wish we could tell you what you want… but, it’s much better if you put the effort in first! Then we can work together to see whether building something from scratch is best, or if your current property and home would benefit from a renovation.
Establish your objectives by focusing on what want to achieve with your home.
- Do you need greater living space?
- Are more bedrooms required for a growing family?
- Would a new kitchen or bathroom make all the difference?
- Is a finished lower level with a home theatre something you’ve always wanted?
- Would you like to update to new, modern styling?
- Do you think an open concept space would be more suitable that separate, main floor rooms?
- Are you concerned about being more energy efficient?
- Do you love your existing location?
- Are you thinking of moving into a completely new home?
Identify and be realistic on how your family lives
- Do you entertain a lot?
- Are you comfortable in a casual atmosphere or do you prefer a formal environment?
- Would it be better for the kids to have a separate entrance with their own organizers and cubbies?
- Does your family tend to gravitate to the kitchen or another area?
- Is having a main floor den/office important?
- What’s your style? Traditional, transitional, contemporary, modern?
- What parking do you need?
- Do you have a size of a home in mind?
- Are there any features that are must haves?
- What else would be great to include?
Do your research!
Scour design magazines and websites for creative ideas. Visit open houses to see what others have done and find out what features you like. Talk to friends and associates about sharing any building experiences or knowledge they might have.
This is where Cricket Hill Homes comes in. We can help you determine if your existing property meets your objectives. Or, if it makes more sense to build something new, we can locate a more appropriate property and enable you to buy with confidence.
We have worked within a variety of homeowner budgets, so don’t let the idea of cost stop you from having a great conversation! Sometimes, talking through your ideas with an experienced Builder is just the confirmation you need that your dreams are achievable.
Whether building new or choosing to renovate, whichever route you determine works best for your family, we’ve got the reputation for our building expertise and commitment to lasting quality that will help you see your new home come to life.